Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo directed for the clearing operations to continue so that all debris and fallen trees are removed to make the roads safer for motorists and residents.
Typhoon “ODETTE” which affected Negros Oriental (Signal No. 4) Thursday evening to Friday morning caused massive blackouts and uprooted trees that toppled the power lines and damage several homes but flood waters did not cause serious breach of the river dikes and bridges.
A 32-year-old resident of Barangay Banilad was the lone confirmed casualty after a collapsed tree fell on the victim, who was in her bed, causing traumatic head injury and death.
City Health Officer Dr. Maria Sarah B. Talla said that about 776 families (3, 077 individuals) from flood-prone and storm-surge areas who were preemptively evacuated on orders of Mayor Remollo before the onslaught of Typhoon “Odette” have already returned to their respective homes after the danger has passed on Friday.
Barangay officials coordinated with the PNP, City Health Office, PNRC and CDDRMO for the orderly evacuation of the residents.
Responders from the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office under the supervision of City DRRM Officer Allen Froilan O. Cabaron II responded to several calls for emergency assistance and transported residents who were injured and in need of medical attention.
Mayor Remollo ordered the activation of the Emergency Operations Center, Incident Management Team and response clusters to include CSWDO [provision of food/non-food items; camp coordination and management], City Nutrition Office [provision of food], Deped Dumaguete [evacuation centers], Bureau of Fire Protection and Philippine Army-AFP [search rescue and retrieval], Philippine National Police [enforcement of law and order], CEO [debris clearing with CDRRMO], DILG [management of the dead and missing], City Health Office [provision of medicine and vitamins], GSO [logistics], Philippine National Red Cross, City Planning and Development Office, Public Information Office and the Sangguniang Barangays.
The Philippine National Red Cross served hot meals to 250 individuals at evacuation centers and established first aid stations in major evacuation areas of the city.
The Philippine Coast Guard and Philippine Port Authority said that sea travels remain suspended unless all Tropical Cyclone Wind Signals are taken down.
Workers of the Negros Oriental Electric Cooperative II are now trying to fully restore electric service.