I am Dr. Ma. Sarah B. Talla City Health Officer of Dumaguete City. With the announcement by the DOH of the first confirmed case of the Novel Coronavirus in the country, it is but proper that we provide you with information regarding coronavirus.
WHAT IS THE NEW CORONAVIRUS?
This is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness in humans and animals. In humans, this large family of viruses are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF NOVEL CORONAVIRUS?
In confirmed cases of illness in humans, common symptoms have been acute, serious respiratory illness with fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. Based on current clinical experience, the infection generally presents as pneumonia. It has caused kidney failure and death in some areas. It is important to note that the current understanding of the illness caused by this infection is based on a limited numbers of cases and may change as more information become available.
PROTECT OTHERS FROM GETTING SICK
1. Completely cover your mouth and nose with tissue, sleeve or crook of your elbow when coughing or sneezing
2. Throw tissue into closed bin after use
3. Clean hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub after coughing or sneezing and when caring for the sick
4. Avoid close contact when you are experiencing fever and cold or flu-like symptoms
5. Avoid spitting in public
6. Cook food thoroughly
7. Seek medical care if you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing
8. Maintain healthy lifestyle